[Building Sakai] Use Sakai Help Tool to access customized external help source?

Margaret Wagner mwagner at umich.edu
Mon Dec 19 15:16:42 PST 2011

Hi Cynthia,

Yes, at University of Michigan the pages that show up in our CTools
(Sakai) online help tool were all created here at UM.  We store these
pages on one of our enterprise-wide storage system and the help tool
accesses them from there. I don't think I can help you decipher or
debug your error but here is a sample of how our .xml file is set up.
(I've deleted most of the lines, but this shows examples of
everything.)  Here -- www.umich.edu/~umctdocs -- is where our pages
are stored.

I hope this helps.

-- Margaret Wagner

-----

<!-- Help External Configuration -->
<help-reg>
<category name="CTools Overview">
<resource name="Description"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/Description.html"/>
<resource name="New in CTools"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/NewFeatures.html"/>
<resource name="What are Course and Project Sites?"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/WhatAreSites.html"/>
</category>
<category name="What Can Instructors do with CTools?">
<resource name="What can instructors do?"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/WhatCanDo.html"/>
</category>
<category name="Getting Started">
<resource name="What Would You Like to Do?"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/WhatWantDo.html"/>
<resource name="Opening CTools and Logging In"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/OpeningLogging.html"/>
<resource name="Joining a Site"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/JoiningSites.html"
defaultForTool="sakai.membership"/>
<resource name="CTools Accessibility"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/Accessibility.html"/>
</category>
<category name="Creating a Site">
<resource name="Simple Outline of the Process"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/SettingUpSimpleOutline.html"/>
<resource name="Setting up and Publishing a site"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/SettingUpPublishingSite.html"
defaultForTool="sakai.sitesetup"/>
</category>
<category name="Using the Tools">
<resource name="Announcements"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/Announcements.html"
defaultForTool="sakai.announcements"/>
<resource name="Assignments - Creating"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/AssignmentsCreating.html"
defaultForTool="sakai.assignment"/>
<resource name="Assignments - Submitting"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/AssignmentsSubmitting.html"/>
</category>
<category name="Getting Help">
<resource name="Contact Us"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/ctoolsfeedback.html"/>
<resource name="Contacting CTools Consultants"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/Consultants.html"/>
<resource name="CTools Workshops"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/Training.html"/>
<resource name="Comments about this Online Help Guide?"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/DocComments.html"/>
</category>
<category name="Known Issues">
<resource name="Known Issues"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/KnownIssues.html"/>
</category>
<category name="Common Questions">
<resource name="Frequently-asked questions about using CTools"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/FAQMini.html"/>
</category>
<category name="Common Computer Tasks Using CTools">
<resource name="Performing Common Computer Tasks"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/CommonTasks.html"/>
</category>
<category name="Glossary">
<resource name="Glossary of Terms"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/Glossary.html"/>
</category>
<category name="Accessibility">
<resource name="Accessibility Information for CTools"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/Accessibility.html"/>
</category>
<category name="CTools Tutorial Videos">
<resource name="Adding a Friend Account to a Site"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/FriendAccountTutorial.html"/>
<resource name="Adding an Icon to a Project Site"
location="http://www.umich.edu/~umctdocs/AddingIconTutorial.html"/>
</category>
</help-reg>