[Building Sakai] Multiple configurable fixes for static date formats in Sakai

Johan Carlsson johan.carlsson at adm.umu.se
Tue Dec 13 23:53:34 PST 2011

Hi all!
As we have previously announced Umeå and Stockholm Universities have joined up to try and solve one of the greatest problems for us that do not use American date/time format by creating a configurable solution that both supports the original American date/time format and also other formats (at least our European format with 24 hour clock and the date format YYYY-MM-dd).

We will create tasks in the resp. Sakai Jiras for these fixes and also provide patches for them. However we need your help to get the fixes merged into the appropriate branches and also trunk if all our work shall not be in vain. We received no response from the sakai-dev group last time we posted regarding this, so therefore I try again.

Below is the original post to sakai-dev:

Hi all,
Umeå University and Stockholm University have decided to try to solve the localization of date and time once for all in Sakai (at least in all modules used by any of the two universities). Different tools use different frameworks and this means different solutions to the problem. Changes to the Time service in the kernel to configure the default fomat from the chosen locale solve some issues with displaying date and time. For date/time input issues the plan is to use jquery UI which requires the use of a fairly newer version of jquery. This supports a date/time picker that we would like to implement in the tools that use this javascript library.
It's necessary, mostly from a developer resource perspective, to make a priority list, that takes both importance and date/time usage in tools, but also the level of ambition, into account. The latter means that we might solve the display of dates and time to users but not the actual picking/entering of date/time in all tools.

The intention is to solve this for all locales, and absolutely not to break anything that already works. We'd like to see that things defaults back to how things work and are seen/shown today, with the exception of the use of a new picker. But every Sakai tool project lead off course has to review the work done by us.
At this point, any input are highly welcome!
/Johan and Magnus

Johan Carlsson
Produktledare för Cambro och Portalen
IT-stöd och systemutveckling (ITS)