[Building Sakai] Sakai 2.8 not working in Ubuntu

Jeremy O'Connor joconnor at uwc.ac.za
Mon Dec 5 00:24:36 PST 2011

Hi

I have installed Sakai 2.8 on Ubuntu 11.10 and have successfully built the master project and Sakai.

However, when I run "sh startup.sh" in the /opt/tomcat/bin directory and browse to localhost:8080 in the browser the browser doesn't respond.

When I do a netstat, followed by "sh startup.sh" followed by a netstat, I get:

root at joconnor-ThinkCentre-M58p:/opt/tomcat/bin# netstat -an | grep :8080
root at joconnor-ThinkCentre-M58p:/opt/tomcat/bin# sh startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME:        /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk
Using CLASSPATH:       /opt/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar
root at joconnor-ThinkCentre-M58p:/opt/tomcat/bin# netstat -an | grep :8080
tcp6       0      0 :::8080                 :::*                    LISTEN
root at joconnor-ThinkCentre-M58p:/opt/tomcat/bin#

It seems that tomcat is only listening on an IPv6 interface, not an IPv4 interface.

--Jeremy

p.s. All the messages that appeared when I ran startup.bat in Windows also didn't seem to appear in Ubuntu.