[Building Sakai] Mneme configuration issue

Glenn R. Golden ggolden22 at mac.com
Mon Aug 29 12:28:26 PDT 2011

Attention Mneme users.  I just discovered an omission in our configuration instructions for Mneme.  If you are using Mneme 2.1 or later, please consider updating your configuration.

Mneme's SubmissionService runs a background thread to do some maintenance.  This thread has two purposes:

- find any submissions that are overdue, either because they have run out of time, or because they are to an assessment that has closed, and close them.

- find any assessments that are now closed and are configured to send results by email and have not yet done so, and send the results.

As of Mneme 2.1, this thread will not run unless configured.  We added this so that the thread is run by just one app server in a cluster, so that multiple threads on different app servers don't compete with each other.

Each app server has an id, set in the sakai.properties with this:

serverId=<name>

The app server that will be running the Mneme maintenance thread needs to have this in its sakai.properties as well:

mneme.maintenance.server=<name>

In fact, this line can be in all of your app servers, since each has a different "serverId" setting.

Without this setting, the thread will not run on any server; no submissions will be auto-closed, and no results emails will be sent.

Our thanks to James Sloane for discovering this (and our apologies to him because he had to find it the "hard way"  ;-).

- Glenn

Glenn R. Golden
Chief Architect, Etudes, Inc.
ggolden at etudes.org