[Building Sakai] IE 7,8,9 being shown mobile page?

Joshua Swink joshua.swink at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 15:34:58 PDT 2011

We're having a problem with Sakai 2.7.1 where MSIE version 7, 8, and 9
users are being shown the mobile version of the website. I was pointed
at this ticket:

So it seems we depend on wurfl to correctly determine whether it's a
mobile browser? I went ahead and tried newer versions of wurfl with
limited success. After upgrading to 2.0.26, IE 7 users would see the
correct page, but IE 8 and 9 were still going to the mobile page.
Wurfl 2.1.1 brought no further improvement.

Is that about what other folks are experiencing, or has anyone been
able to get IE 8 and 9 to work? (not in compatibility mode)

Just in case my installation wasn't right, here is what I did:

- remove wurfl-<oldversion>.zip from
portal/portal-charon/charon/src/webapp/WEB-INF/
- remove wurfl-<oldversion>.zip from
osp/xsltcharon/xsltcharon-portal/xsl-portal/src/webapp/WEB-INF/
- place wurfl-<newversion>.zip in
portal/portal-charon/charon/src/webapp/WEB-INF/
- place wurfl-<newversion>.zip in
osp/xsltcharon/xsltcharon-portal/xsl-portal/src/webapp/WEB-INF/
- edit portal/portal-charon/charon/src/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml and put
the correct version of wurfl that I'm installing
- edit osp/xsltcharon/xsltcharon-portal/xsl-portal/src/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml
and put the correct version of wurfl that I'm installing
- remove webapps/xsl-portal/WEB-INF/wurfl-<oldversion>.zip from Tomcat
- deploy with Maven
- restart Tomcat

Thanks for any assistance.

Josh