[Building Sakai] Sakai OAE Usability Testing Package 1

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 22 17:14:33 PDT 2011

Hi folks,

I want to reassure you that "the usability of things that are important at Berkeley" wasn't meant to be a statement that is in any way divisive or indicate that we are trying to push the product in a direction that inhibits overall coherence. It was just an honest statement, based on the fact that I don't believe certain things that are important to us right now may be as important to other institutions at the moment.

As a UX practitioner, when I plan a usability test I definitely define tasks that help me understand key issues I'm working on. For example, categories are quite important to us as we feel like this is going to be an important navigational method for our users. [1] However, I am not even sure if any other institutions are using categories so I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be interested in spending precious time with users testing it.

We thought about adding tasks because seemed like the tasks outlined wouldn't take very long (we often have hour-long usability test sessions). If we started the sessions with the tasks in the protocol, I'm sure it wouldn't change the results to add a few more at the end. As you can see from the instructions it is quite a bit of work & coordination to get users together for testing sessions, so adding tasks would help us limit our coordination overhead and make better use of our time with users. We were hoping, however, that at Berkeley we could add tasks that would both inform the managed project and help answer questions we have locally.

As a final note, I wasn't aware that there were changes coming soon in categories & profile or I likely would not have suggested testing them (unless of course we could get input to the managed project before folks start work on these changes). I know we have the 90 day plan [2], but I'm not aware of a way to tell which work is coming next--is there a place to find that info? It may also be helpful to have a discussion with Nico of the places in the system that he and Sam view as "unfinished" and not worthy of doing any testing.

Cheers,
Allison

[1] Here is a screenshot, which you can also check out live at calcentral.berkeley.edu, of our categories in case folks are interested in how we've worked certain issues around not having enough hierarchy: