[Building Sakai] Annoucement Emails: Request to filter to site members only

York, Adam yorkadam at umich.edu
Thu Aug 18 14:51:55 PDT 2011

Simple JIRA with possible larger implications around email notifications in announcements: https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-20011

The request is to limit announcement email notifications to just those who are enrolled / members of the site. (Similar to https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-392)   This is to avoid spamming of users who have global access to sites through !site.helper

Current logic in announcement email notifications sends to two groups
Group #1: users who are direct site members
Group #2: users with permission to all groups if granted at the channel or site level  <= causes support users who have global access to be spammed

Group #2 is formed by extending the kernel functionality in announcements.  This functionality was implemented before (https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-5295) the KNL-392 JIRA.  Which has since changed the precedent to pairing back of email notifications.  So the proposed solution is to remove the extended functionality and to default to kernel level behavior of just sending to Group #1.  See patch contained in SAK-20011<https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-20011>.

Q: Are there any scenarios where Group #2 is legitimately going to need to receive a worksite email notification? If so I need help to identifying a further sub group they belong to so we can filter more effectively.  Otherwise I will go forward with the above solution.

Thank You,

Adam York
Teaching & Learning
University of Michigan