[Building Sakai] 2.8.x kernel version

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Tue Aug 16 07:03:28 PDT 2011

Adrian has every right to enquire.  We had a couple issues with the latest kernel releases and rather than leave 2.7.x/2.8.x relying on them we chose to bind to a snapshot.  A kernel snapshot is actually a rather stable creature; David and I serve as kernel branch managers and our approach to kernel branch management is conservative.  Mistakes do occur and occasionally a regression slips in.  This has occurred as we ramp up for the 2.7.2 and 2.8.1 releases.

But as David has pointed out it, maintenance branches operate in a snapshot state--only tags represent stable artifacts.  Of course, stability of the latter presumes that sufficient QA has been injected into the release process; at present we are challenged in this area.

Now for some pedantic paragraphs.  :)

The majority of CLE project maintenance branches (core/contrib) such as those for announcements, assignments, osp, rwiki etc. do not depend on stable versioned artifacts in the repo (indeed, they don't exist).  Code can be merged to these branches at any time and is usually done so without prior warning to deployers.  These branches evolve over time, some at a glacial pace, others rather more quickly.  Whether or not one regards such branches as "stable" depends on the level of trust that one has both for the maintaining team and for the level of QA that each bug fix merged to a maintenance branch receives.  Nevertheless, they remain SNAPSHOT in nature and should be approached as such.

Both 2.7.x and 2.8.x include dependencies on "indie" projects such as the kernel, msgcntr, profile2, samigo, etc.  Not counting the kernel snapshot dependency at present (an anomalous situation) the master pom of each maintenance branch points to stable "indie" binaries that reside in our repo.

From a stability standpoint this suggests goodness but in practice it means that we are handling indies differently than other CLE projects--fixes destined for maintenance branches require an explicit non-snapshot release, an extra set of steps that is absent currently from the bulk of CLE projects where fixes can be merged to their maintenance branches at any time and are available via svn update.

Moreover, the stability and usefulness of the indie binaries released depends crucially on the QA each release receives--an area that, as I hinted above, we are in need of a rethink as regards practices.

From a consistency standpoint, we should actually be pointing our 2.7.x and 2.8.x master poms to indie maintenance branch snapshots; these can be refreshed by Jenkins after polling for new code commits.  We will need to create new jobs to generate maintenance branch snapshot artifacts for some indies--a simple task.  One advantage of doing this is that indie fixes will be available quicker than is currently the case.  But quicker can have its downside.

Cheers,

Anth

>>> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/CLOG/Home