[Building Sakai] Lesson Builder

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Tue Aug 9 08:31:34 PDT 2011

Lesson Builder 1.2 is code that was running in 2.7 at Rutgers until May. I assume it would still build there, with minor changes in the POM file. I *think* the current version would also work, using a 2.8 configuration (if you update the main pom.xml to use the version numbers from your build).

The challenge with Lesson Builder is that it integrates with the rest of Sakai. For Samigo, in particular, getting the best integration requires minor changes to Samigo. 2.8.1 of Samigo should have it, and maybe 2.8. For earlier versions there are installation instructions, but I haven't tested them for a while.

SImilarly, copying sites in its various forms has bugs that affect only Lesson Builder (and maybe Linktool). The installation notes point to the Jiras, which have patches attached. They should be in 2.8.1, but you'd have to install them in 2.7.

Lesson Builder will work without this, but you lose things, like the ability to duplicate a site and have Lesson Builder in the new site.

Even 2.8 isn't complete. Lesson Builder now supports BLTI, but it requires the 2.9 version. There are instructions in a Jira for how to install the 2.9 version of BLTI in 2.8. I assume they would work with minor tweaks in 2.7. I don't now how many sites are actually using BLTI though. There is also special support in Lesson Builder for the NEO portal, though it works fine in the conventional portal.

This kind of thing is going to continue. The purpose of Lesson Builder is to provide integration. That's going to involve the rest of Sakai.