[Building Sakai] Creating new tools: Sakai CLE or Sakai OAE

Hedrick Charles hedrick at rutgers.edu
Sat Aug 6 18:49:10 PDT 2011

In my opinion most of the content faculty would want to migrate is resources and test questions. That's where the largest time investment is, and the rest tend to be more specific to the individual LMS. Resources are fairly easy to get out of CLE. I can't comment on how hard it would be to import them. As far as I know there's no native OAE testing engine yet, so migration wouldn't be an issue for questions.

For what's it worth, csev seems to have committed me to doing Common Cartridge export for Lesson Builder. That certainly doesn't get the whole set of tools, but again, it gets the things that are most important to migrate. I'd assume that OAE would be able to accept Common Cartridge. It's likely to be 6 months to a year before this is done, however. It's going to be a bear, because of differences in the way content is organized in CLE and the Common Cartridge model. Also, with Common Cartridge I have to shoehorn Lesson Builder into a much less powerful model. We're just now going into beta for the version of Lesson Builder with Common Cartridge import.

I'm guessing that there is going to be enough shared between the systems that migration won't end up being an issue in the long run.