[Building Sakai] Sakai 2011 - Google Integration: Slides Posted

Duffy Gillman duffy at rsmart.com
Mon Aug 1 13:40:24 PDT 2011

Hi Bryan,

   I have just now tested my build against the same oauth, rsmart-common, and google-content code and am not seeing the reported error. So perhaps I am missing something in the steps to reproduce the issue, or perhaps we don't yet have a shared understanding of expected behavior. Let me ask a clarifying question:

   When you say "tried different browsers, and even had someone else get on their computer and sign in", are you saying that in each case you (and the other person) logged in as the same Sakai user each time? If all logins were with the same user (eg. test1) then you are seeing the expected behavior. The integration associates a Google Docs account with the Sakai user.

   If instead you are saying you have two Sakai users defined (eg. test1, and test2), that you have associated test1 with a Google account (eg. test1 at test.com), and that logging in to Sakai from another machine as test2 provides access to the Google account of test1 at test.com, then you are indeed experiencing a drastic error. I am unable to replicate this case though, and so will want to ask for a script to test behavior against.

   Here is what I did to test:

1) Created two users: user1, user2
2) Logged in as user1 and navigated to Resources in My Workspace
3) Clicked "Link to a Google Doc" in the "Add" menu next to "My Workspace"
4) Received a screen informing me I would need to approve account access through Google and clicked "Proceed to Google"
5) Logged in to Google in the subsequent screen using my duffy 'at' rsmart.com account.
6) Granted access to Sakai.
7) Proceeded to select a document to which the link should be created.

That created the association between user1 on the Sakai side, and duffy 'at' rsmart.com on the Google side. Next I did the following:

8) Logged out of Google.
9) Logged out of Sakai.
10) Logged in to Sakai as user2 and navigated to the Resources in My Workspace
11) Clicked "Link to a Google Doc" in the "Add" menu next to "My Workspace"
12) Received a screen informing me I would need to approve account access through Google and clicked "Proceed to Google"
13) Logged in to Google in the subsequent screen using my personal gmail account.
14) Granted access to Sakai.
15) Proceeded to select a document to which the link should be created.

At no time after step 8 did I see the documents available to my duffy 'at' rsmart.com account. I instead was given access to those documents associated with my personal gmail account.

   Please let me know if your test script differs from mine or if the issue is, instead, a misunderstanding about the linkage between a Sakai account and a Google account.

Regards,

   Duffy Gillman
   Sr. Software Engineer
   The rSmart Group, Inc.