[Building Sakai] 2.8.0 mysql conversion script issues

Theodoros Theodoropoulos theod at physics.auth.gr
Fri Apr 15 04:53:47 PDT 2011

Hello devs,

This is my second post in this forum and after some time of playing
around with the program, I still have very limited knowledge of
sakai-internals, but trying to upgrade my local 2.7.1 test sakai to the
not-yet-announced 2.8.0, I found the following a couple of issues with
sakai_2_8_0_mysql_conversion.sql.

First, It seems that the index creation for SAKAI_MESSAGE_BUNDLE should
be capitalized: "create index SMB_SEARCH on SAKAI_MESSAGE_BUNDLE
(BASENAME, MODULE_NAME, LOCALE, PROP_NAME);" instead of
"create index SMB_SEARCH on sakai_message_bundle (BASENAME, MODULE_NAME,
LOCALE, PROP_NAME);"

But even then, the sql script produces the error "ERROR 1071 (42000):
Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes" (I'm running
mysql 5.0.77). This is listed here as a mysql-bug:
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=4541 (not solved 7 years after it has
been detected),or as seen later in the post, as a bad practice.

In either way, it is a blocker for the upgrade. Can you verify/reproduce
it? Or is it something with my installation that messes things up?

Best regards,
Theodoros

PS. I understand that the upgrade procedure documentation is not yet
published, so if you're going to describe a solution there, please
accept my apologies for being impatient :) Keep up the good work!