[Building Sakai] Sakai & MathJax

Hylke Koers hylkek at mathjax.org
Fri Apr 15 03:14:29 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Thanks to all of you for your interest in MathJax. We are excited to hear that Sakai Open Aademic Environment has MathJax support, that is very cool. I'd welcome any feedback regarding your experiences with this!

Just a few comments on the issues that were discussed.

- Speed: We have recently released MathJax 1.1, which includes several performance improvements. Together with releasing version 1.1, we also started with a public CDN services which offers very fast download times to readers around the world. (Plus it makes it even easier to set up MathJax and ensures you are always using the latest version). More information about this release is available at http://www.mathjax.org/2011/03/15/news/mathjax-launches-cdn-service-with-1-1-release/

- Bypassing MathJax for pages without mathematics: MathJax can be configured to skip certain areas or content elements. Check out skipTags and ignoreClass on http://www.mathjax.org/docs/1.1/options/tex2jax.html for details and syntax. I guess that is not yet a full solution for your purposes, but it may help to write a routine that checks pages for math elements, marks these, and then only invokes MathJax on marked pages.

- Editor: We are not actively involved in a MathJax-based WYSIWYG editor, but there is definitely activity in this direction. I know that the OpenStudy OCW Scholar platform has a neat integrated calculator - see http://bit.ly/hYnLBe, and click on the "Equation button" in the form.

- Other technologies incorporating MathJax: With the CDN, using MathJax can be as simple as including a single line in your HTML header and include LaTeX or MathML. MathJax can of course also be further customized, and it has a rich API that can be used to integrate it more deeply into your platform, if desired. We have a list of "MathJax in Use" at http://www.mathjax.org/community/mathjax-in-use/ - it's not complete but does list some nice examples and integrations.

Hope this is useful, and thanks again for your interest. Let me know if you have any further questions or points for discussion. Also, please feel free to post technical questions to our User Group at http://groups.google.com/group/mathjax-users, which is also actively monitored by our developers.

Thanks again, cheers,

-Hylke