[Building Sakai] Sakai & MathJax

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Wed Apr 13 08:38:33 PDT 2011

Agreed, this was discussed but there were a few technical issues that
stopped us, from what I remember:

1) We ideally don't want the 99%+ of the pages scanned for Latex that
probably won't have it for the 1% that do. We were thinking of some way with
the CKEditor to have a plugin where a user could enter their Latex math
equations, then it would put a span with a math class around it (similar to
how jsMath pre-processed), so that the pre-processor could check the page
for these classes and only target them rather than scanning all documents. A
plugin would also make it more obvious to the user that math was supported
and give them a place to entire it.

2) We were unable to find a really good wysiwyg editor plugin editor at the
time, forcing users to edit their math outside of the app or *know* Latex.
The conversation about an editor kind of sidetracked the discussion on
rendering.

3) In testing this out, or internal filter would corrupt some of the latex
(by removing some of the code) and didn't allow the MathML by default. So
some additional work was needed on that which we didn't have time to finish
working on at the time.

MathJax definitely looked like a great project to me and certainly would be
nice for someone to revisit.