[Building Sakai] Sakai & MathJax

Hylke Koers hylkek at mathjax.org
Wed Apr 13 04:38:08 PDT 2011

Hi all,

In a nutshell, MathJax is an open source JavaScript technology that dynamically renders mathematical expressions on a webpage, smoothly integrating it into the surrounding text on all levels of zoom and across viewing devices. MathJax is easy to use for both authors and readers: it supports LaTeX and MathML, works on all modern browsers (without plug-ins), tablets, and smartphones, and it can be used on any HTML page by including a single line of code in the HTML header linking to the public MathJax CDN. Besides math display, MathJax also lets users copy and paste math into calculation applications, and helps to make mathematics accessible to readers with print disabilities.

MathJax is rapidly becoming the new standard for quality display mathematics in HTML. Initiated by Design Science, the American Mathematical Society, and the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, it is already in use by leading publishers and platforms. Some places where you can see MathJax in action:
- Stack Exchange: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/22954/proving-that-xy-x-y-being-x-and-y-two-strings
- OpenStudy OCW Scholar, discussion platform for MIT OpenCourseWare: http://bit.ly/hYnLBe
- Connexions: http://cnx.org/content/m36168/latest/

Please feel free to contact me at hylkek at mathjax.org of you would like to hear more about our project; it would be a pleasure to follow up with more details.