[Building Sakai] Sakai 2.8.x runs in Tomcat 6.0.32

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Thu Apr 7 07:54:17 PDT 2011

I have Sakai 2.8.x running in Tomcat 6.0.32 and connected to MySQL 5.1.52.  The trick, as Steve noted earlier for Tomcat 7, is to adjust $CATALINA_HOME/conf/catalina.properties in order to append the old classloader locations to the *.loader settings:

common.loader=${catalina.base}/lib,${catalina.base}/lib/*.jar,${catalina.home}/lib,${catalina.home}/lib/*.jar,${catalina.base}/common/lib/*.jar
server.loader=${catalina.base}/server/lib/*.jar
shared.loader=${catalina.base}/shared/classes,${catalina.base}/shared/lib/*.jar

I also hacked my build script to create $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib prior to building 2.8.x using Maven in order to drop the mysql connector jar into Tomcat in the place Sakai expects it.

I saw no unusual warning on start up but I also should note that I ran no tests:

mvn clean install -Dmaven.test.skip=true sakai:deploy

Steve did not report any tool errors in Tomcat 7 but after creating a course site and stuffing it full of core tools the following tools threw errors:

gradebook
postem
samigo
section info
roster

These failures were usually caused by a failure to find a registered context for a particular capability.  A guess but I suspect Sakai in Tomcat 7 would exhibit similar tool snafus.

Cheers,

Anthony