[Building Sakai] Is it possible to have Multiple Sakai instances with one Tomcat?

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Tue Apr 5 18:17:30 PDT 2011

It really depends on how many users you expect to support per server. We
have around (max) 2000 users per app server each with 6 gig of heap on a
separate dedicated database server. This is more than enough memory,
especially with some of the recent improvements in caching in 2.7.x. You
could probably get by with smaller heap sizes if you expected less usage but
would need to test/monitor it. This would especially be the case if you
removed some of the tools or cut down on the size of the cache. All of our
development machines start up with 2GB of heap, but I've heard that it
starts up and runs okay on an EC2 small instance. (which is 1.7GB total RAM)

Big Blue Button is a much harder on the CPU/Memory than Sakai though. A
recent stress test (03/24/11) on a Dual Core 4GB machine showed that it
could only handle a maximum of ~80 users with audio, with others using some
combination of video and desktop sharing.
http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-dev/browse_thread/thread/3c7ce9815a9800c3?pli=1