[Building Sakai] UI rendering frameworks in Sakai CLE

Hedrick Charles hedrick at rutgers.edu
Sat Apr 2 09:18:51 PDT 2011

Lots of people have thoughts. I'm not sure how useful they are.

I hate JSF. It's great at doing exactly the UI the designers were thinking of, and impossible if you need to diverge.

Wicket uses secret Java API's. Until recently SCORM caused the JVM to crash. This is extremely scary. I am reluctant to use a technology that has any chance of crashing the JVM.

My personal preference is RSF. Lesson Builder uses it, and I think has gained from it. However in fairness I have to tell you that the original developer of Lesson Builder disagrees. He fought with it daily.

It may well be that the best approach is to use a simple JSP with some of the generic tools such as JSTL. Or Velocity, which seems to have similar strengths and weaknesses.

However I've never done anything complex that way. My concern is that it would not separate markup from code as clearly as RSF. In Lesson Builder I've needed to do UI reorganizations a couple of times. With RSF that was fairly straightforward. With a JSP it would have been hard. I've had to make changes to UIs in Velocity. I've found it significantly more stressful than in RSF.

The biggest concern about RSF is its lack of ongoing support. I'm pushing to have the source moved into the Sakai source tree. There are enough people using it in Sakai that I believe if the community becomes responsible for it we can handle the issues that are likely to arise (e.g. the recent addition of support for coeditor, which requires changing an evolved that's in the library).

But if I had it to do again I might use simple JSPs for Lesson Builder. We've even considered incrementally converting to that approach. I've verified that we can mix RSF and JSP.