[Building Sakai] RSF Question

Hedrick Charles hedrick at rutgers.edu
Sat Apr 2 08:31:22 PDT 2011

Generally RSF seems to do what you'd want. Anything with an rsf:id isn't rendered until you call the make method. And once you do that will cause anything else in the tree above it to be rendered. So a single call can cause a lot of stuff to appear. Interestingly, there's no error generated if you do something in the producer that has no matching rsf:id in the HTML file. It's just ignored.

I keep finding out new things. E.g. I recently realized that the framework will generate the standard Sakai header lines. So the HEAD section should include something like this:

<script rsf:id="scr=portal-matter" type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="/library/js/headscripts.js"></script>
<link rsf:id="scr=portal-matter" href="/library/skin/tool_base.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" />
<link rsf:id="scr=portal-matter" href="/library/skin/default/tool.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" />

All lines with scr=portal-matter will be replaced with the correct markup generated by the portal. In 2.8 this includes the necessary header lines for your installation's chosen HTML editor. That greatly simplifies the code for invoking the HTML editor. Because of this, you coulld presumably replace those three lines with something like

<link rsf:id="scr=portal-matter" dummy/>

However I haven't tried it.