[Building Sakai] Realm Grants db hits

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Wed Sep 29 07:33:26 PDT 2010

  Hi All,

This afternoon we suffred a period of high utalization on our database
back end for a period. I'm still investigating to see what caused it but
it seelms that at least part of this was a high number of long running
query for realm grants:

SELECT SAKAI_REALM_ROLE.ROLE_NAME, SAKAI_REALM_RL_GR.USER_ID,
SAKAI_REALM_RL_GR.ACTIVE, SAKAI_REALM_RL_GR.PROVIDED FROM
SAKAI_REALM_RL_GR INNER JOIN SAKAI_REALM ON SAKAI_REALM.REALM_KEY =
SAKAI_REALM_RL_GR.REALM_KEY AND SAKAI_REALM.REALM_ID =
'/site/96dbcba6-01c2-4059-007a-40e484873bb9' INNER JOIN SAKAI_REALM_ROLE
ON SAKAI_REALM_ROLE.ROLE_KEY = SAKAI_REALM_RL_GR.ROLE_KEY;

adding a quick cache and visiting roster and site info in a site
resulted in 1 miss and 8 hits on this cache. Now while it is easy to add
a cache at this point the AuthzGroup code seems to assume that this
information is not cached, and making sure we invalidate the cache in a
cluster safe way is slightly more complex....

Any ideas?