[Building Sakai] Sakai 2.7.1 performance issues

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Mon Sep 27 06:44:00 PDT 2010

  Hi Tom,

Yes, there are critical performance issues in MSGNCTR 2.7.0 and 2.7.1
directly related to the query you posted to the list.  Permissions in
Forums are complex as they allow custom permissions and default
permissions.  The "OR" statement in the query you posted is the
performance killer.  Enough of those queries queuing on your database
server will cause Sakai to stop responding.

We have submitted a number of patches that have been merged into trunk
and 2.8.x; the parent issue is here:

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/MSGCNTR-361

The immediate performance issues will be solved by merging in the
commits in sub-tasks 3,4, and 5.  You should also confirm that you have
the index discussed in sub-task 1.  The fixes in sub-tasks 3,4, and 5
break up the complex query into two individual, high-performing queries.

--Sam