[Building Sakai] How to limit student's permission in order for them not to destroy system

le tan vu imleeu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 08:48:47 PDT 2010

Hi all,
We're working on an enhancement of Sakai's Assignment Tool (Assignment Tool
1). We intend to let student compile their submission inside Sakai, then run
their executive file which is built after compiling.
This may cause a risk since student want to destroy our server (CentOS
operation system). Our approach is combination of Java Process (using Apache
Commons Exec) and our own shell (which is built as a limited permission
shell). Besides, we set the default directory for each shell and don't let
user use "cd" command as well as other risky commands. So students only can
operate in their folder.

I understand this is a little bit out of Sakai's scope but I really need all
of your advice who may feel interested in this.

Is there any other better approach?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced and sorry for inconvenience if any.

Kind regards,
--
Vu Tan Le