[Building Sakai] math editor for fckeditor

Qian, Zhen zqian at umich.edu
Fri Oct 22 09:49:49 PDT 2010

John,

I think equation support can be divided into two parts: (1) the ability to render good quality image for equation in browsers and (2) the ability to support creating/editing LaTex/MathML equation.

As for part (1), I think the trend now is to use MathJax display engine(http://www.mathjax.org/), which support all browsers and both LaTex and MathML. Here is a previous discussion thread for replacing jsMath with MathJax: http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--MathJax-to-replace-jsMath-in-rWiki--td29464530.html

For part (2), I haven't checked their licences or prices yet. Some plugins render equation images and embed into FCKEditor. DragMath (http://www.dragmath.bham.ac.uk/integrations.html) can output LaTex formatted string, which can be displayed by MathJax afterwards.

Part 1 seems to be a low-hanging fruit, and I hope that can solve at least 50% of user needs. Equation support is on our top to-do list here. We'd love to hear suggestions from other teams.

Thanks,

- Zhen