[Building Sakai] Job Opening for Senior Java Developer

Steve Herrick SHerrick at aarweb.org
Tue Oct 19 11:51:24 PDT 2010

The American Academy of Religion (AAR) is recruiting a Java Developer
who has an enterprise outlook. The AAR is a 10,000-member association
promoting the academic study of religion. Based in Atlanta, we are
affiliated with Emory University and are a Sakai Project partner.

Sakai is an enterprise teaching, learning, and academic collaboration
platform used by more than a third of the top universities in the world.
The AAR is taking a cutting edge role in incorporating social networking
approaches into Sakai 3 for use by scholar associations and their
members.

The AAR Java Developer will work closely with leading Sakai developers
around the world in the further development of Sakai 3, help adapt its
features and user interface for use by the AAR membership, and play a
key role in the continuing development of the AAR's information
technology infrastructure. For at least the first six months, it is
anticipated that about half the developer's time will be devoted to
Sakai development and adaptation, and half to the AAR's other technology
systems.

Because the AAR's scope of operations is relatively small compared to
that of universities and large corporations, AAR staff find they can
handle a relatively broad scope of responsibilities. The focus of the
developer position will include systems integration; serving as the
technical contact for a vendor redeveloping our website; and occasional
database and web programming. We anticipate our IT environment will
undergo a good deal of positive change the next 12 months, making the
AAR an exciting place for a developer to stretch his or her wings.

Preferred qualifications include experience as an enterprise technical
lead in an open-source, distributed environment; extensive experience
with Java and substantial experience working with relational databases,
SQL, Javascript, XML, and HTML/CSS. Experience with Spring, JMS,
Jackrabbit, Sakai, Kuali Rice, RESTful services, or service oriented
architecture would be helpful.

The position is a long-term, full-time Emory University position that
comes with generous benefits. Number of work hours expected will be
reasonable as opposed to the exhausting hours common in corporate IT
settings. The official job posting will soon be listed on the Emory
University Employment website at
http://emory.hr.emory.edu/careers/index.html
<http://emory.hr.emory.edu/careers/index.html> . Preferred start time is
December 2010 or earlier. Qualified candidates can feel free to email
Steve Herrick, the AAR's IT coordinator, at sherrick at aarweb.org, for
more information.