[Building Sakai] Anyone running headless OO.org in production or pilot?

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Mon Oct 4 08:01:37 PDT 2010

UM's OERCA php app uses OpenOffice:

https://open.umich.edu/wiki/OERca_install

Regards
Stephen

>>> Steven Githens <swgithen at mtu.edu> 10/4/2010 4:52 PM >>>
Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone here is running a headless openoffice daemon in
production or pilot in conjunction with Sakai (or even with different
project).  I'm curious about how you've added it to your deployment
setup, whether you run it on the same node as Sakai or on a different
node.

It's something I'm investigating to fill in some functionality, and
curious how others have gotten it into their deployment environments,
since it's more than just a jar file to ram into tomcat.

Apache POI is nice for really specific tasks, but for anything that
needs to keep some aesthetics and be more general it seems to be the
way
to go.  Google uses it for stuff, and other open source projects (like

Etherpad) use it as an engine for exporting things in various office
formats and PDF's.

What I'm currently looking at is allowing instructors in Assignments 2

to optionally edit student feedback offline in a format other than HTML

and then upload that and have the conversion be halfway decent. (which

OO.org is pretty good at).

Cheers,

TO UNSUBSCRIBE: send email to
sakai-dev-unsubscribe at collab.sakaiproject.org with a subject of
"unsubscribe"

###
UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer
published on our website at
http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from
+27 21 650 4500. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom
it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify
the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may
not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail
is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the
sender's individual capacity.

###