[Building Sakai] SI791: Open Source Software Development with Sakai

csev csev at umich.edu
Mon Nov 29 07:11:53 PST 2010

Course Announcement

This will be a seminar-style group activity focused of exploring open source software development within the Sakai (i.e. CTools) project. We will have a combination of presentations, readings, discussions and software development activity throughout the semester. The software development activity will focus on building new capabilities for the Sakai as part of the Sakai 2.9 release which is likely to be in production at UM as CTools in Fall 2012. Attendance at a weekly group meeting will be required.

Weekly meeting/lecture: Fridays from 2PM-5PM, 2185 West Hall

Desired skills for people who want to be in the group include: Usability, User Experience, SQL, Java Servlets, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and Graphic Design. The team needs all of the mentioned skills but no one individual needs to have all of the skills listed, but you should be able to function at a professional skill level in at least one or more of the listed skill areas. We will design and implement one or more entirely new features in Sakai and so we will need all of the skills listed across the group. Students will be required to sign a contribution and licensing agreement so that their work can be included in Sakai.

For more information, see:  http://www.dr-chuck.com/si791-sak/

If you would like to track the activities of the effort but do not want to sign up for credit, please join this CTools site. Sakai community members can participate in the course using a Friend Account.

https://ctools.umich.edu/join/portal/site/si-os-sak

If you are using a UM-friend account with CTools for the first time have Dr. Chuck add you to the site.  If you are already a member of the site, the link will take you to the site.

Charles Severance
Clinical Associate Professor
University of Michigan
School of Information