[Building Sakai] Nakamura port and IP

Ian Boston ieb at tfd.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 05:38:08 PST 2010

Mark, Sean,

AFAIK there is no way of changing the AJP port from the command line. Also, in Jetty which users NIO for its Channel selectors, HTTP is way faster than AJP (only slightly slower than Apache Httpd OOTB). In general people are using mod_proxy_http rather than mod_proxy_ajp, and we have put some special things into allow Apache HTTPD mod_auth_* to work. Look at [1] for configuration.

If you want to change Jetty, to do more detailed configuration you need change the jetty configuration.

For this you need to modify the jetty bundle.
If working from the binary distribution
mkdir tmp
cd tmp
jar xvf ../org.sakaiproject.nakamura.app-0.9.jar
mkdir jettybundle
cd jettybundle
jar xvf ../resources/bundles/5/org.sakaiproject.nakamura.jetty-config-0.9.jar
# reconfigure the jetty.xml configuration with anything you can do in Jetty 6.x
vi jetty.xml
# recreate the Jetty bundle keeping the Manifest in place
jar cvMf ../resources/bundles/5/org.sakaiproject.nakamura.jetty-config-0.9.jar
cd ..
rm -rf jettybundle
jar cvMf ../org.sakaiproject.nakamura.app-0.9.jar.patched
cd ..
rm -rf tmp

If you are working from source,
have a look in bundles/bundles/jetty-config/src/main/resources/jetty.xml,

If you want to create your own custom jetty config bundle and incorporate it into a build, then you should publish your local jetty-config bundle to a local repo (mvn install) and have your own pom.xml to build the executable jar see [2] which is the Cambridge build. (No source is built, everything gets pulled from a repo, so it only take 15s to build a local image)

HTH
Ian

Oh and BTW, most of the Nakamura developers montor the Kernel list sakai-kernel at googlegroups.com

1 http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/KERNDOC/Your+Last+Day+with+Sakai+Nakamura...