[Building Sakai] Entity Broker Future - In Kernel / Main SVN

csev csev at umich.edu
Thu Nov 25 08:39:57 PST 2010

Back in June in Denver we talked about "moving EntityBroker to Kernel" - but then we also decided that we wanted 2.8 out quickly and so we tabled anything that felt a little complex and EB in kernel fell into that category.

But now with 2.8 properly branched and in QA, it is probably time to pick it back up so we can re-factor the EB code early in the 2.9 release process.  I am not an expert on EB - but these are the things that seem like a starting point to this effort based on my limited understanding and use of EB:

- Move GenericDAO and the EB Registry to Kernel

- Pull a copy of reflectutils from Google code into kernel

- Move /direct to its own indie project under /svn

Aaron would be the project lead on /direct and become an official kernel committer to keep work on EB registry and GenericDAO.  Aaron already has super-commit to everything as a maintainer - this would simply mean he is also listed a formal member of the Kernel team (for votes and such).

For me, once this is done, I can see increased use of EB in lots of areas like portal and LessonBuilder and other emergent areas of the code - I can imaging that these new uses will expose new EB use cases and we can evolve EB forward together to meet those new use cases.

Comments welcome.

/Chuck