[Building Sakai] Site Archiving

Adrian Fish a.fish at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Nov 25 07:47:48 PST 2010

Hi Tom,

> Good day everyone
>
> I am shortly going to start working on an approach to archive our Sakai
> sites.  Based on the testing and web searching I have done so far, I
> have some questions.
>
> 1) From what I can tell the Site Archive tool does not archive all of
> the data for all of the tools in a site (in particular Gradebook and
> SiteStats, two favorites of our instructors).  Is there a way to
> configure the Site Archive tool to archive all of the tools in a site?
Whether a tool can be archived or not depends on whether the tool
implements certain interfaces, EntityProducer being the main one if I
remember correctly. That's why only the data from certain tools and not
others ends up in the XML dump.
> 2)  Has anyone come up with a way to do cross version restores (i.e.
> archive a site from Sakai 2.5 and restore it in 2.6, 2.7 or later)?
Again, this will vary from tool to tool. If the tool's DB is similar
across versions and the api is consistent then the archives will
probably be portable.
> 3) Is there a way to delete a site completely using an API?  I have
> noticed that deleting a site leaves some data behind.
I don't think so, but I may be wrong. I reckon the shallow delete is a
nice safety net, personally.
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Hope some of that helps, bit negative really :(

Cheers,

Adrian.

--
Adrian Fish