[Building Sakai] Request for Comments: Sakai On Mobile Platforms

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 16 02:41:26 PST 2010

we have a mobile phone interface to Sakai available via m.ox.ac.uk.

We have more or less adopted approach 2 and use oAuth for authentication.

The first time a user tries to access sakai via m.ox they do fully fledged authentication. This will direct Sakai to trust m.ox until told otherwise, in other words, m.ox will become a trusted proxy albeit with a much reduced permission set (mainly read access but with some write access). From this point onwards authentication is not required.

We use an open source package called Molly (see source forge) which proxies requests from a smartphone, and makes calls to Entity Broker and then renders a customised page. We have adopted an iPhone like interface and are not going down the 'pda portal' route.

We have 'done' (or are going to 'do') the following tools (although not all are live yet):

 - polls
 - tutorial sign-up
 - resources
 - surveys (evaluations)
 - announcements (& MOTD I think)

By 'doing' I mean have applied oAuth authentication and (with the exception of Resources) developed a smarthphone interface. Adding oAuth support to Resources was necessary as images or attachments may be used with most of the tools listed above.

There are other tools that we'd like to add but have been able to due to lack of Entity Broker support, things like Schedule for instance. We dont really use Gradebook but I do quite like the idea of presenting notifications and new assignments.

We have also developed an oAuth management tool for My Workspace. This allows users to tell Sakai to no longer trust m.ox which is necessary when a phone is lost or stolen.

Here are a couple of blog posts to give you an idea:

http://blogs.oucs.ox.ac.uk/adamweblearn/2010/09/weblearn-now-available-on-a-mobile-phone/
http://blogs.oucs.ox.ac.uk/adamweblearn/2010/10/call-for-participation-weblearn-polls-via-m-ox-mobile-oxford/

And here is the wiki page detailing what we have had to do to 2.6 to get things working.

http://wiki.oucs.ox.ac.uk/weblearn/ErewhonProject

We're very indebted to Matthew Buckett and Steve Swinsburg for doing all the work. All I do is brag about how good m.ox is!

I know there has been interest from other US institutions but I'm not sure whether anybody else is adopting Molly; we'd be very keen to lend a hand is anybody else is interested.

adam
--

Dr AC Marshall (WebLearn Service Manager)
OUCS, 13, Banbury Rd. Oxford. OX2 6NN