[Building Sakai] Static code clean up 2.8

Berg, Alan A.M.Berg at uva.nl
Sat Nov 13 05:13:33 PST 2010

Hi all,

Static code review tools are good at suggesting area's of code to look at and then clean up. QA and MT and number of developers have been cleaning up obvious defects under the Jira SAK-19081. I would like to thank these hard workers for their prompt effort. The return time on clean up is more prompt than the 2.7 cycle. We now stand a solid chance of the review finishing before the beta tagging in two weeks time.

A couple of projects are less rapid in cleanup. I would appreciate it if you can merge patches in to 2.8 in the next 2 weeks so that we can close and start to focuss QA effort elsewhere.

Both Findbugs and PMD have plugins which work well with Eclipse. I would strongly suggest to developers using Eclipse, if you have not already done so, to turn on Findbugs and use before commited. The relevant URL for the update site is:  http://findbugs.cs.umd.edu/eclipse

Further, if you see bug patterns that you want caught but are not included PMD rules are easily extenable and I don't mind collecting and adding.

Alan

Alan Berg
QA Director - The Sakai Foundation

Senior Developer / Quality Assurance