[Building Sakai] Perm Gen Space Error

Berg, Alan A.M.Berg at uva.nl
Fri Nov 12 10:54:19 PST 2010

PermGen cant be GC'ed as it stores things such as string caches, reflected objects and the definition of classes. Tools such as Jconsole can help you observe PermGen space live. If you start up a server and make sure all the tools have run once then you can probably get a good idea of where the low water mark is. I agree with Doreen that to tweak you should setup -XX:MaxPermSize in your strtup script. 512 MB is a good start value.

Alan

Alan Berg
QA Director - The Sakai Foundation

Senior Developer / Quality Assurance