[Building Sakai] Gradebook and SIS

Michael Wenk mjwenk at ucdavis.edu
Mon Nov 1 12:54:46 PDT 2010

Dorie,

At ucdavis, we're using rSmart's sakai 2.6 implementation.  We are a banner
school and we use gradebook2.  We have a special in house app that we feed
our final grades to.  This app then takes the grades that we submit from
within gradebook2 and then feeds them onward.  Gradebook2 submits the grades
via https to a web service that is built on our in house app for Final Grade
submission.

Gradebook2 uses an advisor pattern for stuff like this.  You will need to
implement a customer InstitutionalAdvisor bean.  Specifically the method
submitFinalGrade is called when the user clicks the Submit Final Grade menu
option.   There's a sample InstitutionalAdvisor included within gradebook2.

HTH,
Mike

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Kenwrick Chan <kchan at hawaii.edu> wrote:

> Sorry hit the wrong key and it send out.
>
> I was going to mention that it uses Banner's INTCOMP package for the
> business logic of getting the grade  into the right Banner table.   That
> package is need of an upgrade since it really only addresses the grade.  We
> have gotten multiple requests to include more data on the upload e.g. date
> last attended, etc.  - all that great stuff they need for financial aid and
> veteran's benefits.
>
> Since you're a Banner customer you should be aware that they've stated that
> their future is now with LIS .. . but I haven't gotten a confirmation of
> when or how .. and I've been asking for some time.
>
> -kenwrick
>

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Kenwrick Chan <kchan at hawaii.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Doreen,
>> We're tapping into Banner's INTCOMP/LMB package to upload final grades.
>>  So our sakai instance publishes messages to Luminis message broker which in
>> turn via LMG uploaded it to Banner for processing.   The Banner/Luminis side
>> of house is very much the same as it was for our old WebCT instance we just
>> use sakai to publish those grade events.
>>
>> Unicon did the heavy lifting work to do our initial implementation.  They
>> customized what they had originally developed for Gatech for our University
>> of Hawaii instance.  We're a bit different in that we do "MIF" running a
>> single instance for the multiple campuses in our UH system.  If you need a
>> Unicon contact ..  David Lipari <dlipari at unicon.net>.
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Doreen Minich <DMinich at messiah.edu>wrote:
>>
>>>  I'm polling the group to see if any of you have your Sakai grade books
>>> feed final grades to your SIS.  We are a banner school and are looking to
>>> phase out our current grade book application and streamline processes for
>>> our faculty.
>>>
>>> We would love to hear what you've done and how you did it.
>>>
>>> Dorie Minich
>>> Messiah College
>>> ITS
>>> dminich at messiah.edu