[Building Sakai] chat in presence

Ed Garay garay at uic.edu
Fri May 28 18:10:18 PDT 2010

I see, but Blackboard has had a very easy to use and reliable text chat bulit-in for years (no jokes, please) and yet, I see less and less classes using in it, in recent years.  Instead, our instructors want audio chats, video chats and application sharing, that is, modern media-rich communication, and tools students and teachers alike are very familiar with, like Skype, messenger, GoogleTalk and some such.

At UIC we also have Wimba Voice Tools, which provides several audio tools, including a real-time audio and text-chat that can also saves archives for on-demand playback, ...and we have Wimba Pro (which unlike Voice Tools, is free).

Pronto is very popular, very useful and provides not only SSO, but also automatic course site aggregation.  Pronto knows what classes students and teachers belong to and it automatically lists you when you are logged in (yes, there is a stealth setting to hide).

I have used Wimba Voice Direct and Pronto in my classes, and even administered short real-time audio quizzes/interviews with my students really like.  Students use Pronto to get together on their own, inside and outside of Blackboard.

We have Wimba Voice and Pronto integrated with Blackboard, but if I remember correctly, Wimba was working with the Sakai community about a year ago trying to integrate their tools with Sakai, so you might already have access to free Pronto at least or be close to getting it.  Shouldn't be too hard since it's essentially jabber with a pretty UI plus LMS hooks.  Check with the Wimba folks.

Greetings from Chicago,

Ed Garay
Assistant Director for Academic Computing
Director, UIC Instructional Technology Lab
University of Illinois at Chicago
www.accc.uic.edu/Itl
www.twitter.com/garay

1940 West Taylor Street, Room BGRC 124