[Building Sakai] chat in presence

Martin B. Smith smithmb at ufl.edu
Fri May 28 17:51:39 PDT 2010

On 5/28/2010 7:45 PM, csev wrote:
> I thought about it and when I looked the code over, it felt to me that you could do it all in the presence servlet with a bit of clever Javascript and no persistence.
> Nice and surgical just use the presense framework as it exists.

XMPP (http://xmpp.org/) handles presence, primarily is used for
point-to-point chat and chat rooms, and is already an open standard with
Java-based implementations.

It's the technology behind Google Talk, Jabber software, has (sometimes)
rough interoperability with _many_ other protocols, and allows
federation between servers. There's even a JCR (Jackrabbit) storage
adapter for the Apache XMPP server.

I think the hardest part of integrating Sakai components that speak XMPP
is figuring out the model... does Sakai host an XMPP server inside the
app? could Sakai simply be a witness on an existing XMPP chat room? how
does that user or server address map to the wider XMPP world? etc...

One neat possibility would be to choose a subdomain for Sakai XMPP,
say... sakaichat.example.edu, and then federate Sakai an as XMPP server
such that anyone can reach Sakai users with
userid at sakaichat.example.edu, and have Sakai components process all of
that information involved in an exchange. Say you had students working
on an external XMPP server (LJ Talk, for example)... you could invite
some system user or 'course-site bot' from the federated
sakaichat.example.edu, and still get all of the benefit as if the
conversation happened internally.

</rambling...>
--
Martin B. Smith