[Building Sakai] Schedule tool -- automatic linking of URLs for subscribed iCal feeds?

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Tue May 25 09:11:07 PDT 2010

Hi Jamie!

Perhaps something client side like jquery autolink would solve this easier
for you? It would seem to me like the description 'probably' isn't html in
the first place and the description is just added as plain text? Looking at
the nba ical [1], the X-ALT-DESC is HTML and the DESCRIPTION is plain text.

An idea would be to use client side javascript to convert this these links
if this is important for your users. This library looks like it would do it
and works with the older jquery (1.1.4) in sakai 2.6

http://kawika.org/jquery/index.php?section=autolink

1) Put jquery.autolink.js into library/js (in tomcat)
/reference/library/src/webapp/js (in the build)
2) Patch chef_calendar_viewActivity.vm to autolink this class (in
sakai-calendar-tool/vm/calendar in tomcat, or
calendar-tool/tool/src/webapp/vm/calendar in the build)

(Full both patches attached, this is live on qa6. It might be worth adding a
target to the href replacement so it doesn't open the link in an iframe)

Alternatively the code might be changed to use the X-ALT-DESC if it exists,
this seemed the easiest way though and would fix all links, not just
imported ones.

With the script (correct clickable link)
[image: Picture 35.png]

Without the script (no clickable link)
[image: Picture 36.png]

[1] http://www.ics-calendars.com/schedule/nba-2008-09.ics