[Building Sakai] check if a given user has active session?

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Fri May 14 03:47:53 PDT 2010

I think you'd need access to

  /** The sessions - keyed by session id. */
        protected Map<String, Session> m_sessions = new ConcurrentHashMap<String, Session>();

in SessionComponent in the kernel, which would let you check the last active time for the user (though rather inefficiently as you'd need to iterate through the map).

So it looks like you'd need to add a new kernel method to get it, and to do it efficiently, alter the implementation. That's only on the current app server though - to do so cluster-wide you'd need to check the user presence which could be done more efficiently involving a db query. Then there are the various issues about how presence is set and times out which could affect the accuracy of the result (more accurate in 2.7 than 2.6).

Cheers
Stephen

>>> Steve Swinsburg <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com> 5/14/2010 12:30 PM >>>
Hi all,

Is it possible to check if a given user has an active session? Essentially I'd like to know if a user is 'online'.

SessionManager doesn't seem to be able to check any given user, only the current user, or check a Session that you already know about, but I'd need to be able to get the current Session(s) that a user might have first.

cheers,

UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 4500. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the sender's individual capacity.