[Building Sakai] Proposal: upgrade dependency versions in 1.0 kernel

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 10 08:07:31 PDT 2010

On 10 May 2010 13:43, David Horwitz <david.horwitz at uct.ac.za> wrote:
> For the 2.7 release a number of kernel dependencies where upgraded some
> time ago. Testing of 2.7 has indicated that these all seem safe. The
> list can be seen here:
>
> http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-105
>
> an includes:
> hibernate
> spring
> javax.mail

I think this broke some stuff in UserDirectoryService (MimeEncode.base64()).

> cglib
> commons-lang
> commons-fileupload
> commons-logging
>
> I would suggest that these now be applied to the 1.0.x kernel series for
> 2.6, with the exception of the spring upgrade. Any objections?

To me this is a risk without any clear benefits. I would be happy for
the versions in the 2.6.x to remain the same so that there aren't any
surprises for people running the stable software.

If there is a bug in one of the libs which affects Sakai that can only
simply be fixed by upgrading then it would seems the sensible route to
upgrade that lib to the newer version.

--
  Matthew Buckett
  VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services