[Building Sakai] Anyone using Ubuntu for Sakai in production?

Berg, Alan A.M.Berg at uva.nl
Sat May 8 06:04:53 PDT 2010

Hi Joshua,

Sakai is Java based and is pretty OS agnostic. I run Sakai for local testing on Ubuntu. qa1-nl.sakaiproject.org runs Redhat. Looking at the 2.7 test instances http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/QA/QA+Servers+-+Sakai+2.7 the Spanish test server uses Ubuntu.

Redhat has certain advantages as it is recognised as providing professional support and certification. Though, I personally like the dependency management of Debian derivatives (e.g apt verses rpm or whatever) such as Ubuntu and work with this distribution at home and for my office desktop.

Alan

Alan Berg
Interim QA Director - The Sakai Foundation

Senior Developer / Quality Assurance
Group Education and Research Services
Central Computer Services
University of Amsterdam