[Building Sakai] Cannot get a connection, pool error Timeout waiting for idle object

Joshua Swink joshua.swink at gmail.com
Fri May 7 15:55:29 PDT 2010

Sometimes under heavy usage, we get this error:

org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection, pool
error Timeout waiting for idle object
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(PoolingDataSource.java:104)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:880)
        at
org.sakaiproject.db.impl.BasicSqlService.borrowConnection(BasicSqlService.java:254)

Tomcat crashes then and has to be restarted.

Is there some way we can configure the pool to work better under load? Are
there any alternate connection pools that might work better?

Thanks for any replies.

--
Joshua Swink
UC Merced