[Building Sakai] way to tell if current user has admin privileges?

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Wed Mar 31 10:56:56 PDT 2010

Ahh. I resisted the urge to give the technical answer, because I'm usually positively wrong. Negatively wrong this time -- oh well.

SecurityService.isSuperUser() checks the current user.

Inject or use the ComponentManager. It's in the authz package (in kernel-api). Don't use the cover or the unit test police will get you. :-)

You can also pass a user ID if you need to check someone specific (but scrutinize the technique if you think you need to do this -- only really privileged, magical super-admin maintenance code should ever need to do it).

Thanks,
-Noah

On Mar 31, 2010, at 1:49 PM, Nicola Monat-Jacobs wrote:

> Ah, I think I should have been more specific. I'm working on a custom sakai tool, and I'm wondering if there is a java method to determine this? Many tools treat users enrolled in the admin workspace as though they were admin, so I imagine there must be some way to test for it.
>
> Thanks,
> Nicola
>
> On Mar 31, 2010, at  10:43 AM, Noah Botimer wrote:
>
>> Yes. Being in Admin Workspace is the magic and sole deciding factor. There should only be one role, so there shouldn't be any confusion there.
>>
>> A way to check as the user would be to try to visit /portal/site/!admin. I'm sure we could come up with something programmatic/scriptable if you needed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Noah
>>
>> On Mar 31, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Nicola Monat-Jacobs wrote:
>>
>>> I may be forgetting something obvious, but is there any easy way or method to tell if the current user has admin privileges? Not the 'admin' user, but a regular user who is enrolled in the Admin Workspace?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Nicola