[Building Sakai] Request for review, SAK-6792, ability to search external users

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 06:00:21 PDT 2010

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comments, replies inline:
> - What are the search criteria?  Are they independent of the underlying implementation?

The same as the normal UDS.searchUsers method, a string of text that will match on a user's eid, firstname, lastname or email address.

> - Will it be easy to know to turn off the capability in the UI?  I'm sure the implementation can be turned off, but it wouldn't be very attractive to have a "search external users" display in the UI that doesn't really connect to anything.

There will be no UI, just the backend for retrieving the information. People can choose to implement it as they see fit.

One use of this will be Profile2, so we can search externally provided users, if a provider is configured.

cheers,
Steve