[Building Sakai] Sakai 2.6 / 3 Function details

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 30 02:59:15 PDT 2010

I'll answer what I can:

| Course Management :
|1. Can users copy existed course structures (not course user data , e.g. forum posts) ?

Yes it's in 'site info' tool

|2. Can users reuse existed resources in diff courses (e.g. reuse existed forum guides which is a HTML page
|in other forum) ?

Yes, but one currently has to copy the pages to the new site, copying is easy but of course is not ideal. Sakai 3 supports real "reuse".

| Standards :
|1. Does Moodle able to import/export data using SCORM , CP , QTI format by default ? Or 3rd party plugins
|should be installed ?

I don’t know about moodle but sakai can be built with a scorm player. Mneme (Tasks, Tests and Surveys) will import QTI v1 (not sure about Samigo (Tests & Quizzes) - I imagine it will.

IMS CP ccan be expanded into the resources tool and will often work just fine, otherwise Modules (aka Melete) will play IMS CP.

| User/Group Management :

|1. Can users (tutors or students) search users inside Sakai for futher actions (or inside other action ,
| e.g. creating courses) ?

I have no idea what you are asking here!

|Can tutors assgin existed users (by searched results) to a course ? Or the tutors should add the users one
|by one ?

Tutors can add by email address or username. We have our instance hooked up to an LDAP and Tutors can manually find "course groups" and add them to a site. If you connect Sakai to a SIS then I think that groups can automatically come fropm there.

|2. Can users (tutors or students) create non-course related groups (no link to and existed course or cross-
|courses , e.g. group for a project or interest club)

You can create 'project' sites and manually assign lists of users to the site. Students can be given exactly the same powers as a tutor. You can create your own type of site, for example, a "club" site - all sites are created from templates, if you add a new template then new sites can be based upon these templates.

|Context Management :

| 1. What kind of resources (e.g. courses info , images and docs including PDF and Words , questions , groups
|, etc) can users can search inside the application ?

PDF, Word (.doc and .docx), powerpoint, excel, .txt and HTML pages, plus wiki pages and email messages

|2. Can the resources be organized and searched in structure ? For example , there is a translation project A
|(a paper) , which contain other reference (other paper) describe translation method A , and the method A
| paper refer to other paper which describes forumla A . Therefore , there is a structure "translation
| project A -- method A -- forumla A " . If users search "translation A " , all these resources will be
|results .

The resources tool has a files and folders structure. You can have as many subfolders as you like.

|3. If developers create new functions (e.g. a new question type or course element) , how can its data join
|to the Sakai search engine ?

I guess you have to ensure that the new tool sends its data to the Lucene search engine for indexing.

|4. All resources can be full-text searched ?

Indeed they can.

| Non-functional module Management :

| 1. Are there any logging / exception / transaction module for developers or administrators for helping in
|development and system maintenances ?

I think so yes.

adam

Jonathan