[Building Sakai] News Tool invalidating RSS

Ron Peterson rpeterso at mtholyoke.edu
Mon Mar 29 12:36:14 PDT 2010

2010-03-22_11:33:47-0400 Ron Peterson <rpeterso at mtholyoke.edu>:
> 2010-03-22_10:29:29-0400 Ron Peterson <rpeterso at mtholyoke.edu>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We're upgrading from 2.5.x to 2.6, and a large number of previously
> > viable RSS feeds are now not working.  The appears to be on account of
> > stricter XML validation, as the following log entry indicates.
> >
> > org.sakaiproject.news.impl.BasicNewsService - initChannel(http://feeds.nytimes.com/nyt/rss/Technology) constructor: couldn't parse: Invalid XML:
> > Error on line 1: White spaces are required between publicId and systemId.

I have tried upgrading our test instance from 2.6.1 to 2.6.2.  I am
running exactly the same version of the jdk and tomcat as our production
2.5.x instance.  The news tool works fine on our production box, but it
does not work on 2.6.  I have the same problem w/ the contrib news tool
(Nuno has been helping me out some behind the scenes with that as well).

BasicNewsChannel.java doesn't appear to be doing anything different
between versions, but in 2.6, I'm getting an exception, and in 2.5 I'm
not.

Any ideas?

-Ron-