[Building Sakai] Forums, Blog Wow and Wiki uselessly slow

Berg, Alan A.M.Berg at uva.nl
Fri Mar 26 02:24:44 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I am suspicious of XX:MaxPermSize=256m. If we do that on qa1-nl, then sometimes we run out of perm space. How about MaxPermSize=512m
Further we find that our Sun/Solaris T2000 servers are very strong for Java applications because the CPU's are optimised for integer work and lots of threads. However, we are also moving  services slowly to Vmware for consolidation reasons.

Our uPortal environment is on VMware, the minor gotcha is that we run Linux on top and that each thread costs 2MB extra of native memory.

Alan

Alan Berg
Interim QA Director - The Sakai Foundation

Senior Developer / Quality Assurance
Group Education and Research Services
Central Computer Services
University of Amsterdam