[Building Sakai] Oracle LONG to CLOB

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Thu Mar 25 07:52:42 PDT 2010

Right, this was an old SAK (SAK-7977) [1]. I believe all of the columns at
Michigan's production are converted and we've been including these
conversions in the scripts as they pose actual problems.

Long to clob is just a straight alter

alter table assignment_submission modify xml clob;

Note that after doing any conversion like this your indexes *might* be
invalid and you'd need to rebuild them. Should run this select query to
check, it will return commands needed to be run to alter indexes to rebuild
them that are in an INVALID state.

-- You will need to run ths following statement, and manually execute
the generated 'alter indexes' and re-gather statistics on this table.
-- There are randomly named indexes so it can not be automated.

select 'alter index '||index_name||' rebuild online;' from
user_indexes where status = 'INVALID' or status = 'UNUSABLE';

These examples are frmo the 2.6.0->2.6.1 conversion script [2]

[1] http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-7977
[2]
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/reference/trunk/docs/conversion/sakai_2_6_0-2_6_1_oracle_conversion.sql