[Building Sakai] Alternatives to Session State These Days

Steven Githens swgithen at mtu.edu
Tue Mar 23 08:06:19 PDT 2010

Hi Dev,

I need to store a list of sorted UUID's ( String[] ) for a user to page
through grading students assignments.  Because of the current structures
of things, the page actually needs to refresh, etc, so I need to store
this on the server.  I really do need to store it as well, because the
potential ordering of the data is expected to change during the course
of working with it, but we want to keep the original order for working
through.

In Sakai 2.7+ I've been trying to determine the best way to do this
using minimal session storage.  And because it very large cases I'm not
sure I would want to store it, even if just briefly.

To avoid having to make a separate table (or maybe using a file in
resources), I've been looking at the Caching in the Memory service.

Does this seem like an appropriate domain of the Memory Service?
Storing interim results of things that users are paging through in tables?

Maximum cheers,