[Building Sakai] 2.7 Install

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Tue Mar 23 02:42:24 PDT 2010

Hi Warwick,

Do you have a load balancer configuration with apache httpd frontend as per:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Admin+Guide+-+Load+Balancing+and+Scaling

Also when you say "everything has been built into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps", there is more than webapps - a Sakai deploy will also have components, common and some other directories.

The "-server" is probably unnnecessary as the jvm will default to the right configuration on high-end systems (multiple CPUs, etc.).

Regards
Stephen

>>> Warwick Chapman <warwickchapman at gmail.com> 3/23/2010 10:39 AM >>>
Thanks Steve.  Nothing in the logs of interest from what I can see.

I did just try to restart Tomcat and it failed because of the "-server"
which is recommended in the JAVA_OPTS environment variable as recommended in
the install documentation.

# /etc/init.d/tomcat5.5 start
Starting Tomcat servlet engine: tomcat5.5Invalid option -server
Cannot parse command line arguments

# set | grep server
JAVA_OPTS='-server -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
-XX:NewSize=192m -XX:MaxNewSize=384m -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails
-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dhttp.agent=Sakai
-Dsakai.demo=true
-Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false
-Dsun.lang.ClassLoader.allowArraySyntax=true'

Is that supposed to be there?

-- Warwick Bruce Chapman | +27 83 7797 094 | http://warwickchapman.com

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Steve Swinsburg <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Warwick,
>
> When you start Tomcat, can you also tail catalina.out (tail -f
> $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out) and check for any errors? Send them along.
>
> cheers,
> Steve
>

> On 23/03/2010, at 5:41 PM, Warwick Chapman wrote:
>
> Hi All
>
> I have successfully compiled 2.7 and everything has been built into
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps.
>
> I created $CATALINA_HOME/sakai and copied the sample sakai.properties file
> into $CATALINA_HOME/sakai editing as follows:
> serverId=opportunity
> serverUrl=http://opportunity.da.org.za:8180
> serverName=opportunity.da.org.za
> ui.institution = Democratic Alliance Leadership Academy
> ui.service = OpportunitySakai
> smtp at org.sakaiproject.email.api.EmailService=localhost
>
> The serverUrl is configured for port 8180 because that's what's configured
> in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml:
>     <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8180 -->
>     <Connector port="8180" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
>                maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75"
>                enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="100"
>                connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" />
>
> As per 2.6 Install Guide* I have placed a redirect into the
> webapps/ROOT/index.html but the redirect to
> http://opportunity.da.org.za/portal, returns a 404:
>
> HTTP Status 404 -
> type Status report
> message
> description The requested resource () is not available.
> Apache Tomcat/5.5
>
> Help?
>
> *
> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Install+Guide+-+Source+Install+(2.6)
>
> -- Warwick Bruce Chapman | +27 83 7797 094 | http://warwickchapman.com

UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 4500. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the sender's individual capacity.