[Building Sakai] [Management] MT deprecation recommendationsfor 2.7

Adrian Fish a.fish at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Mar 19 03:46:47 PDT 2010

First off: I do not know a great deal about annotations, but ...

Could we not write an annotation that just goes and wires up our
dependency for us, via the component manager? That way people don't have
to mess with spring XML and don't have to write the ComponentManager code.

Like I said, I don't really know much about them so it may not be
feasible. It would be nice though.

Cheers,

Adrian.

Steve Swinsburg wrote:

>> It may be necessary that the code which is being unit-tested does not
>> use the static covers, but that is no obstacle to any other
>> (non-unit-tested code, e.g.  local tools, 3rd-party code) continuing
>> to use the static covers.
>
> Except new tools and new developers are still using them.
>
> At least deprecating them signals that they should change. If the
> timeline is long enough for Kernel 2.0.0, we should be able to remove
> all instances in the current code. Using the ComponentManager it is
> extremely simple.
>
> cheers,
> Steve

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I like Noahs email as debate is most welcome as QA hopes to motivate
>> an increase test coverage.
>>
>>> If someone had the
>> resources to write the tests, they would exist. The fractional cost to
>> switch off the covers is not why we don't have them.
>>
>> Agreed
>>
>>> I think the unit test scenario is a red herring.
>>
>> Disagree.  If the MT agree to add tests as they maintain then we
>> start to cluster and increase the regression testing around weak points.
>>
>> I am a great fan of unit like tests in combination with continuous
>> builds. In Sakai 2.x if a bug is found I would promote the idea of
>> adding tests around the cleaned code.If we run the builds say once
>> every 2 hours with a praise mechanism then the community more
>> aggressively avoids regression. I therefore think the current status
>> of having limited test coverage is not an argument. I find David
>> Haines suggestion of adding an extra method to get the instance in
>> the cover rather intriguing and would enjoy more discussion. I also
>> see Aarons point about ad-hoc improvement removing covers as code is
>> maintained, as an incremental investment.
>>
>> Opinions?
>>

>> Alan
>>
>> Alan Berg
>> Interim QA Director - The Sakai Foundation
>>
>> Senior Developer / Quality Assurance
>> Group Education and Research Services
>> Central Computer Services
>> University of Amsterdam