[Building Sakai] [Management] MT deprecation recommendationsfor 2.7

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Fri Mar 19 00:40:42 PDT 2010

Let's just be clear on one point:

It is not necessary to remove or even deprecate the static covers to enable unit testing for code.

It may be necessary that the code which is being unit-tested does not use the static covers, but that is no obstacle to any other (non-unit-tested code, e.g.  local tools, 3rd-party code) continuing to use the static covers.

Regards
Stephen

>>> "Berg, Alan" <A.M.Berg at uva.nl> 3/19/2010 9:31 AM >>>
Hi all,

I like Noahs email as debate is most welcome as QA hopes to motivate an increase test coverage.

> If someone had the
resources to write the tests, they would exist. The fractional cost to
switch off the covers is not why we don't have them.

Agreed

> I think the unit test scenario is a red herring.

Disagree.  If the MT agree to add tests as they maintain then we start to cluster and increase the regression testing around weak points.

I am a great fan of unit like tests in combination with continuous builds. In Sakai 2.x if a bug is found I would promote the idea of adding tests around the cleaned code.If we run the builds say once every 2 hours with a praise mechanism then the community more aggressively avoids regression. I therefore think the current status of having limited test coverage is not an argument. I find David Haines suggestion of adding an extra method to get the instance in the cover rather intriguing and would enjoy more discussion. I also see Aarons point about ad-hoc improvement removing covers as code is maintained, as an incremental investment.

Opinions?

Alan

Alan Berg
Interim QA Director - The Sakai Foundation

Senior Developer / Quality Assurance
Group Education and Research Services
Central Computer Services
University of Amsterdam